This version of web part has several improvements:
- Treeview control does not load all members on page load, only first level of site users is loaded. On expand, calls are made to AD and members are loaded in treeview control. This enables faster page loading and loading members of specific AD group on demand.
- Expand all and collapse all options were added to web part
- Custom branding is enabled
- Email and phone number of a user can be displayed in web part
- Sending emails with email client is possible directly from web part if email address is displayed
- Better error handling
- Errors are loaded in ULS logs
- Namespace of the web part was changed
- Option to display Lync status
To install this solution in your farm, please follow these instructions:
- On your c: drive create a folder named "Temp"
- Open your SharePoint 2013 Management Shell with elevated privileges
- Enter the following PowerShell code:
Add-SPSolution -LiteralPath "C:\Temp\ADGroupMembersWebPart.wsp" -Verbose
- Once solution has been added to the farm solutions store you can run the following PowerShell code to install the solution in your farm:
Install-SPSolution -Identity ADGroupMembersWebPart.wsp -GACDeployment -AllWebApplications -Verbose
Solution has a web application scope feature, so in this step you may also choose to which web applications you wish to install this solution to.
To activate feature containing the web part, you have to activate feature at a site collection level.
To activate this feature go to Site settings and in the Site collection administration section click on Site collection features. Find Display AD group members Web Part
Activate the feature by clicking the Activate button:
Add web part to a page
To add web part to a page, open a web part page and on the ribbon
On the insert tab on the ribbon click on Web Part
In the categories, select KompasXnet and in the parts section select Xnet Display Group Members:
Once web part has been added, you will see empty web part as on the picture bellow:
Web part settings
To set web part propertis, you need to open Web part tool pane. Once Tool pane is displayed there are several settings and options:
Enter FQDN of your domain
You must enter FQDN of you domain to the text box. This property is used to query Acitve Directory.
Display site users
Display site users option display users and groups that have permissions on current web. It queries current web context and display users with permissions. IF current user does not have permissions to view SharePoint group members, these will not be displayed in the web part.
Display users and groups from specific OU
When selection "Display users and groups from specific OU" it is recommended to enter AD Organizational Unit from where you want to display members. If you do not specify OU filter, it will query whole domain.
Use custom CSS file for branding
Use this option if you want to specify different CSS file than the one that is used by default.
Default file is deployed to style library in the "AdGroupMembersWebPart" folder.
All web part elements have their unique classes added so you can use those CSS classes to brand your web part as needed.
Display user data in web part (email and phone)
If selected, this option enables you to display user data which is pulled out of Active Directory. Currently, only user email and telephone number are displayed in the web part.
When option is enabled, user data is displayed in the web part:
Email address is formated as mail to hyperlink, so you can send email directly from the web part:
Display Lync status
This option enables you to display Lync status. You can choose to use UPN for SIP address or you can select email address as you SIP address.
When enabled, users can see Lync status of users displayed in web part.
Display errors (debug mode)
When enabled, if there are any errors, they are going to be displayed in the web part.
For debugging this web part you can also check ULS logs. Logging was added to this version of web part and you can check any web part errors in ULS.